American Corner Prizren officially opened on April 27, 2006, and is a partnership between the U.S. Embassy Pristina and the Inter-Municipal Library in Prizren.
American Corner Prizren is located in the Inter-Municipal Library in Prizren. Membership is free and open to registered users of the Corner. The collection includes reference materials, fiction, English language teaching materials, pamphlets, periodicals, videos, CDs, and DVDs about the United States and American culture. Free Internet service is also provided for educational purposes. The American Corner regularly hosts English language classes and activities promoting American culture.
The mission of American Corner Prizren is to build and strengthen relationships between U.S. and Kosovo, showcase American culture and values, promote English language learning, encourage study in the United States, and foster goodwill and mutual understanding.
American Corner Prizren exemplifies the U.S. commitment to a core tenet of democracy: a citizen’s right to free access to information. . It provides authoritative information about the United States and connects American and Kosovo citizens, and build bridges of mutual respect and understanding. It aims to achieve the following goals:
- Provide accurate, compelling, timely, and audience-appropriate information about the United States—its history, culture, society, and values.
- Facilitate English language learning through access to English language speakers, resources, computers, and the Internet.
- Promote U.S. higher education through EducationalUSA advising by providing international students with accurate, comprehensive, and current guidance on applying to U.S. colleges and universities.
- Foster people-to-people connections, increase understanding, and build respect with host-country audiences through cultural programs.
- Support continued engagement with U.S. government alumni, connecting them to local audiences through alumni programs where credible, local voices can share firsthand information about the United States and American values.
|Merita Dakaj||American Corner Coordinator||Tel:+381 29 631 636|
|Logo||Inter-Municipial Library in Prizren|
|U.S. Embassy Pristina - Kosovo|
|American Advising Center (AAC)|
|Kosova English Teacher's Network|
|Biblioteka Ndërkomunale Prizren|
American Corner Prizren has two funding sources. One is through the Inter-Municipal Library in Prizren; the other is through U.S. Embassy Pristina.
The Inter-Municipal Library in Prizren, as a host institution, covers most of management and recurrent costs, including, but not limited to, staff salary, space cost, utilities, maintenance, supplies, etc.
U.S. Embassy Pristina provides support funding for resources, books, magazines, internet access, programming, supplies, equipment and furniture.